Old 09-18-2017, 12:34 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
MindfulMan
No Dogma Please

Wellbutrin can cause bad anxiety in some. It worked like a charm for me, as long as I take a mood stabilizer with it, which in my case is lamictal. I'm a diagnosed Bipolar II, and took lamictal for about 3 years. Tapered off of it under a psychiatrist's care, and felt OK. Looking back on it, the first time my drinking went out of control was after I stopped taking it, and has been up and down with my semi-extreme mood swings.

Going off psych meds should be done under the care of a psychiatrist, and one that has experience with addiction. It can be dangerous to stop medications cold turkey, as well as extremely unpleasant. Untreated bipolar disorder can be EXTREMELY dangerous. It's a purely chemical condition and responds very well to medication. Untreated bipolars have a high risk of suicide, substance abuse, psychotic episodes, impulsive behavior, grandiosity, inability to sleep, and that's just the manic side. Full-blown manic episodes generally end one of three ways, jail, hospitalization, or death (sound familiar)? Bipolar depression also has a much higher risk of suicide than unipolar depression, psychotic episodes, and substance abuse. They can go off their meds and feel fine, until an episode hits, and actually that's not an uncommon progression in the disease.

I'm not suggesting any specific treatment other than talking to an addiction specialized psychiatrist before making any medication changes or if you are unmedicated and have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder.

I've encountered some outright hostility towards medication from a few members at my AA meetings. I let it go right through me, because I feel that this is complete ********, and my doctor knows more than randos at meetings. This has only happened in isolated cases, AA nor the vast majority of its members would suggest that all medication is bad, but I do see a BIAS with a lot of 12 step advocates against psych meds. They can be overprescribed, but they can also be lifesavers with proper administration.