Old 09-18-2017, 05:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
healthyagain

Hello and welcome back,
Alcoholism is considered to be a mental illness (substance abuse disorder as they prefer to call it these days), so please do not underestimate the power of denial. Also do not assume that one particular health issue, no matter how severe it is, is going to stop him (been there, done that). The reason is, he simply may not think that his health problems are alcohol related. Remember that they tend to convince themselves that it is always somebody else's fault, but never theirs, never alcohol?

The first time my ex went to ER, he was telling everybody it was a "small heart attack." The truth is, he went through a withdrawal. And then he went back so many times, but the doctors could not do anything except patch him up and release him. The withdrawals were severe, seizures included. The doctors knew what was "wrong" with him, but they could not force him into treatment. Fast forward two years. After losing everything he had, his family sent him to a program, which brought him back to life. Now, will he appreciate it, will he take it seriously, will he commit himself to recovery? Well that is not really my problem anymore. But I wish him all the best.

I always praise Al Anon. I swear it saved my life. So, learn about alcoholism and focus on yourself.