A day not drinking is a successful day
Saying one is an alcoholic makes one an alcoholic
I am what I do
I need to be grateful
We are never cured
Am I doing my best
Not drinking means I'm in recovery
All my troubles are of my own making
(not to mention almost every single goofy "AA saying" I've ever heard in a meeting, like "meeting makers make it" and so forth).

I think the important thing is to be honest with ourselves about ourselves - to admit to ourselves where we are and what's really going on. I felt "bad" that I didn't have any principles on my first couple inventories. I felt like I was not doing it right or missing something. Truth is, I just wasn't at that point....or that level perhaps....yet.

One of my shortcomings is I don't think I should be where I am. I should be further along.....or something like that. The arrogance and ego in that belief keeps me from dealing with what's actually happening now because I'm too busy trying to figure out why I'm not where I think I should be.

If the process of the steps is to deepen our relationship and trust in God then I should be working on what's blocking me now, not on what may be blocking me or might be blocking me or could be blocking me. Kinda like triage in a hospital - deal with the super important in-your-face stuff that's present now and later you'll have the time and energy to deal with the finer points.

In that spirit, we ask God to direct us in our step work - especially the 4th step. "God, show me what you want me to see, give me the words you want me to write, and remove my judgments of whether I should write them or not.... get me to just write em down." I think what comes after I say a prayer like that is exactly what is supposed to come. My problem can be (and has been) that I think I know better than God what should be coming / what should be addressed. The recognition of this type of current agnosticism often is enough to give me the ability to set it aside and/or ignore it once I see it's in action.