View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 02:58 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
LonelyShadow

Okay thank you for your input everyone.

GT, you have a very direct way of speaking that seems to directly enrage my Beast. So I have no doubt you are on to something.

It took me some time to process your words, and I realised the truth in much of what you are saying. It is a bitter pill to swallow to recall that yes, in the ten minutes before drinking, I thought "To hell with the consequences I can just recover all over again" and very selfishly sought out deep pleasure. But I can see now why you wanted me to see this, so thank you. Please understand that I thought you were asking me to rationalise my decision to drink i.e 10 minutes before i was anxious, so wanted to numb the pain, 8 minutes before i was stressed so needed to calm down. Which is why I questioned it, I know now is not the purpose of that exercise.

RR and AVRT can be seemingly cold and harsh and I think that's intended to strip away excuses so you can see your AV more clearly. That being said, I find that during periods of stress, anxiety, depression etc etc that the AV can become much louder, much fiercer and more persuasive. My understanding of AVRT and the BP is that you have made a firm commitment to never drink NO MATTER WHAT. Regardless of how much mental pain you may be in. So although seeking help for mental health problems is certainly a wise thing to do, treating those conditions does not 'cure' the alcohol problem.

It's interesting reading everyone's various approaches. I think for me it's the BP and nothing else. (Although I am interested in the Shamanism that was mentioned?!)