Old 09-12-2017, 11:00 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
beatingpaws

Hey Brett,

I'm just an internet stranger but I hope that sharing my story will help you a little bit.

This year I've gone through almost exactly what you've described but I can feel myself getting better. It's not straight line better -- some days are really crappy, others are good, and others are all over the place -- but it's a huge improvement over what I would call "rock bottom". Nobody told me that "rock bottom" might come after getting sober...

For the first 4 - 6 weeks after quitting, I was a little anxious, but nothing too bad, but after that, anxiety, depression, brain fog, and paranoia started creeping up. It got worse and worse until one night about 3 and a half months out I had the most terrifying night of my life. Felt like a void opened up under me and I was just trapped in darkness. I started having panic attacks and couldn't sleep for almost a week. Checked myself into an inpatient psych unit (honestly the best decision I've ever made). They said bipolar disorder but the drugs they gave me didn't help at all (zyprexa, ativan, and lithium), so I dropped the drugs and have been trying to fight through things on my own.

I'm about 8 months out and if it weren't for a couple of slip-ups, I think I'd be close to where I was before I drank. You will get better. Stay in touch with your doctors and make sure to ask for help if you feel like things are getting out of control, but keep an eye on the light at the end of the tunnel because it's real and you'll get there. And I know they're the doctors and I'm just an internet stranger, but I've gone through withdrawals that most of them never have, and I think that some of the emotional instability that accompanies sobriety might be getting attributed to bipolar disorder rather than your brain trying to recalibrate itself after substance abuse. I guess if that's what bipolar disorder is then I've got it too, but it's weird that it seems to be clearing up with time.

Also caffeine caused my anxiety to go bananas. I didn't think about it as being another drug I was hooked on but it definitely made things worse. Made me more anxious which led to more depression and isolation. Ask your doctor about tapering down and kicking it if you can. The brain fog will lift with time after getting rid of this too (after another withdrawal -- woof).

Sending good vibes your way -- take care of yourself, lean on your friends and family who care about you, talk to doctors, hang on for what can be a bumpy ride, and let nature take care of itself. You have only brighter days ahead.