SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information - View Single Post - Speaking to professionals about AVRT
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2017, 05:43 PM   #20 (permalink)
zerothehero
waking down

There is no doubt in my mind that there was a shift in my drinking from "just liking to party and wanting a buzz" to actively drowning the misery and anxiety that had been created by life circumstances and exacerbated by drinking. Telling myself I only drank for the buzz would be a lie. I was motivated by a desire to escape suffering. Of that I have no doubt. And pretending that proclaiming "I will never drink again" would suffice without addressing my motivations behind drinking or considering my triggers (internal and external) would not have worked for me. I didn't do AA, a I didn't really do AVRT. I learned a few things from both, as well as CBT, mindfulness, shamanism, and more. And I'm not confused. I just didn't swallow any one method entirely. And I'm nearing four years clean and sober. Just saying...
zerothehero is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zerothehero For This Useful Post:
AlericB (09-13-2017), Awake61 (09-13-2017), DarklingSong (09-16-2017), LonelyShadow (09-13-2017), zenchaser (09-13-2017)