Old 09-12-2017, 12:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

It was important for me to have a sponsor. I went to about 5 weekly meetings before I decided to ask a lady who I admired and whose recovery shone each time she came into the room. Her husband was an addicted/alcoholic with schizophrenia and my son was an addict, so our path that brought us there was different but our recovery was really the same.

I often referred to her as a she-devil with a heart of gold. She agreed to sponsor if I would agree to complete assignments she would give me (regarding each step) and meet with her once each week between meetings to review how I was doing and for her to guide me along.

It was the best decision I ever made, to this day I am grateful that she was there when I needed someone to help me. That was 1999 I think, it seems like yesterday and yet it seems a thousand years ago.

One thing she taught me that I still do is to take time each year and once more go through each step, as it applies to my life today. As my life changes, how I work the steps and how they apply to me changes too.

Take your time but choosing a sponsor may be the best gift you give yourself.

Hugs