Thread: Why why why
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2017, 11:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
kenton

Hi Darlad,

So much of your post I can relate to. Especially the running after drinking wine. I used to tell myself that the sugar in the wine made me run faster! I somehow convinced myself drinking heavily the night before running half marathons was a good thing. It's incredible the stuff I told myself to conceal my addiction.

Like you, I was extremely high functioning. Never missed a day of work, kids always everywhere on time, I was a member of the PTA, ran marathons blah blah blah. What's interesting after 10 and a bit months sober is that I'm much more relaxed about everything now. When I was drinking it was so important to me that the world see me a certain way. I was terrified about anyone discovering my deep dark secret so I tried to appear perfect. Sobriety brings incredible freedom. I no longer care what other people think. I'm not hiding anything anymore. I care what I think. Sobriety is so much more than not drinking. It gives me the chance to be the real me and live a life without fear or shame.

This site has helped me stay sober and will definitely help you. I'd advise you to join the September class and I also find the 24 hour thread really useful. In the early days, post here whenever you feel like you want to drink. Someone who understands will always be here. I wish you so much luck and strength.