View Single Post
Old 09-12-2017, 10:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
FreeOwl

by the time I was your age, I'd checked off a lot of the list of things you shared as well. I hadn't (yet) gotten my first (of two convictions and three arrests) DUI and I hadn't (yet) even begun to admit to myself that I had "a problem". That would come a lot later and at a lot greater cost.

I finally did get it. But not until I was 40 years old.

I hope you don't wait that long. I can tell you with sincerity and conviction that if you set aside all the excuses, all the doubts, all the BS and all the baloney rationale - and you just get yourself busy getting fully committed to a sober life as your absolute priority - your life will be incredible by comparison.

You've shared a story that many of us have lived. I can promise you - that life does NOT get better. It gets worse. It gets more painful. It impacts many others. It spreads the pain and destruction and eventually - it just kills you in some awful manner, killing the hearts and wounding the souls of those who care for you along the way.

In contrast - accepting the obvious and taking on the responsibility of making yourself into the best version of you that you possibly can by embracing sobriety with all you've got - will result in elevating your life to new heights, bringing about positive to those you care about and to many others in life.... it will turn the whole story around.

There is no drink, no high, no drug, no bottle, no buzz that will compare to a life of gratitude, sobriety and joy.

It's really as simple as that.

AA is a great start. This place is a great start. But know that no program or website or person apart from YOU is going to do it for you. You have to choose it. You have to choose it, then take ACTION to support it every day. It's simple, but it's not easy and it takes commitment and consistency and effort. Eventually, it gets a lot easier. Eventually, it gets wonderful. It's most often not like that for a while and you have to be ready to suffer a bit through the early days of putting in the pain and the work and the discomfort of the transformation.

Trust me though, it is so worth it.

Welcome