SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information - View Single Post - Speaking to professionals about AVRT
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2017, 12:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tatsy

Hi LonelyShadow, I'm glad you're here and posting.

Prior to drinking decades ago, I experienced anxiety. Fear of X, y and z. Of course, my brain then learnt that alcohol would banish those feelings and I'd feel better, temporarily, Dutch courage I suppose. The years rolled on and as I climbed the career ladder, I experienced more stress.....cue alcohol - because I'd taught my sub-conscious brain that alcohol either made me feel better or provided relief from the irritable feelings. Then the Booze Beast of AVRT was born, a rogue, ego-alien, survival drive.

I'm now just over a year sober and like you've said, I was told I suffered from depression, but no, the depression was caused by alcohol and I no longer suffer from it. Anxiety, as you say, may be separate and amenable to treatment.

I believe GerandTwine wishes to assist you. As I learnt AVRT, even after making my Big Plan GT could pinpoint AV in my posts. He means well and I've benefitted greatly from his experience.
Tatsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tatsy For This Useful Post:
Awake61 (09-12-2017), BillieJean1 (09-11-2017), LonelyShadow (09-11-2017), MythOfSisyphus (09-14-2017)