View Single Post
Old 09-11-2017, 08:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
OpheliaKatz
"O you must wear your rue with difference".

I agree with what Johnnie360 and Maudcat said. Please get help for yourself and join Alanon or Narcanon family groups. Read some books about codependency (Melodie Beattie has written a few books about it: "The New Codependency"). Make sure you are clear about your boundaries: do not lend money or enable them by "fixing" the outcome of their choices. Finally, one of the most important things you can do now is to make sure your bank accounts are separate. In the event that you have to leave him suddenly (and I'm not saying you will have to do this, but it's possible), you need to have your own money. If you keep a joint account, he can spend every last cent until there's nothing for emergencies (and by that I don't mean emergencies that he creates).

I tried to keep my boundaries as much as possible, but I think that if I had been getting help from a family group such as Alanon, I might be in a better place today. I don't know if my STBAXH would be in a better place, but I know I would have been in a better place emotionally and financially, if I had had help.

Please keep reading SR. Take time to care for your needs. Take time to cry. Go out. Eat right. Exercise.

*hugs*