View Single Post
Old 09-10-2017, 10:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Berrybean

I haven't voted as there are too many important variables - more important that whether you two are together.

I think it is possible you can recover. I think it's possible that he can as well. BUT - neither of you are in the position to take a supportING role.

The most important thing will be if you are both (independently) working on your recovery. What does your recovery plan look like so far?

If you are going to meetings I can imagine the temptation being to go together, which is okay sometimes and for a bit. However, its also likely to mean you don't get to know others so quickly or start to form your own seperate support networks. It could also mean you're less likely to share as openly and honestly, so as well as going together it'd probably be wise to go alone to some meetings.

Also, we all tend to 'get' this stuff at different rates, so is likely there will be times when the less recovered partner will seem less of an attractive proposition to the more-recovered one. Not impossible, no, but worth thinking through bounderies for if one person relapses and the other doesn't, etc.

Good luck.
BB