Old 09-10-2017, 07:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
RightAngled

You are not alone.

I've had lengthy stays in hospital, psychiatric hospitals and rehabs and have relapsed quickly. One time I spent three months locked away in a psychiatric hospital for my own safety and within half an hour relapsed. That's how in control of my drinking I was!

It sounds like you are still able to generally go to work. This can be a great deceiver in thinking 'well maybe it's not that bad'. I know from experience that drinking on the job is a nightmare: the shame, the fear of being caught, the frustration of not being able to drink as much as you need. You may be able to 'function' like that for a long period of time, living the nightmare. On the balance of probabilities you are likely to lose that job, harm yourself, someone else or a lot worse if you carry on.

Though it's easier said than done, speak to your family. Be totally honest. Honestly is the first thing we lose (and very often the last thing to return) in active addiction. If you act now you could save yourself from a world of hurt. It's not easy I know. You have every ounce of my compassion.

If it helps, I've done over 1,000 days of sobriety, it does get better!