View Single Post
Old 09-10-2017, 05:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
August252015

I was very sick physically when I quit (not to mention emotionally, mentally etc) and my first visits to AA were mostly spent sitting and listening- sometimes I couldn't sit still for the whole hour, but I did almost the recommend 90 (meetings) in 90 (days) - I did about 82, and I am 565 days sober today, and have found my sweet spot for meetings is 4-6 a week - and I mainly....let it sink in. There is a lot to learn and you just have to have a desire to quit drinking to be there- that's it.

As you are able, pay attention to "those who have what you want," look for similarities (not differences) in your experience and those of others, and above all - don't drink. That's the only way the program, as you learn and experience it.

There are also different kinds of meetings, so I strongly suggest you try different ones, especially if the first you attend is off-putting for some reason.

Some will tell you to get a sponsor and start working the steps right away- it's ok not to get a sponsor immediately (I didn't til day 97 and had "emotionally" worked steps 1-3, then we started at the beginning officially when we began working together).

Giving it a legit shot after I had railed against AA for years was the ticket to my sobriety and the beginning of my life in recovery.

Hope to see you around here- let us know how it goes.