View Single Post
Old 09-05-2017, 02:37 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  
Itchy
Re-Member

Gil!
I remember those fold up shopping carts. We lived in an elevator building when I was a teen and we had one to bring the laundry down and back from the basement laundry room. It never occurred to me to find out where Anandale was, and now I know.

OT,
I have some RV friends who used to go to Cabo by RV and loved it. Sounds like your friends may be in trouble or not. Can you call someone? Maybe rent a trick and haul down whatever they're needing.
"The Dan," I like that.

PJ,
Thanks. I am a techie, but that doesn't always mean high tech. I haven't mastered VR yet, nor am I any kind of gamer, not even solitaire. I am an ex tech but falling behind from other things taking more of my time.

Dee,
Yeah. I am really hit hard by this. Man! It's like Hendrix, Janis, John, and George all over. These are the folks I curled up with in a set of headsets, or blaringly obvious at high volume through audiophile discrete component systems. I was Jazz as much as Rock but not freestyle or Dixieland jazz at all. More like "The Dan." and the other fusion jazz great like Herbie Hancock, Maynard fergusen, and then the mellow jazz guys I mentioned before. The only thing I can enjoy, only if I have to is crap music. (The C is silent for thet genre.)

FBL,
Bodhisattva turned a phrase that was awesome once the concept it represented became clear on looking it up. Back in the 80s we couldn't Google it so that meant dictionary, and a trip to the library since I wasn't exposed to Buddhism yet. Big grin.

Berman was 92, and he'd done it all. I thought he was an East coast comic from my area because of how he yiddishified his humor.

Hi Suze!

Mags,
Did he get stung? If they're honeybees you can build or buy a hive to keep their honey. We have bee keepers here who love to get free bees and will come and try to catch the swarm. Do you have those there too?

SG,
Hey you got it recorded right? I remember having those little cassette recorders. We used them like a floppy disk to load programs on the Commodore. Thank goodness I waited until I was 30 in 1982 to get a Commodore 64 with the old 1560 or something external 5.25" floppy disk drive. Hard drives were $1000.00 for a 5 or 10 MB for any computer and I got an IBM clone in 84 when I was 32. It had a giant 10 MB hard drive! In the 70's it was Bose 901s and dbx Noise reduction cassette machines. I remember when Casio came out with the first digital calculator watch and they cost several hundred dollars and were advertised in Playboy. I got one several years later for about $50 that did much more than the first ones. Our Casio calculator was a red LED four function. The HP scientific LCD calculators were in the 1980s and they cost in the hundred dollar range. I got an early start doing the Devry Institute "Basic Electronic Circuit Applications To Fundamental Electronics" course in 1972 when I was 20. I was active duty and married but wanted a big TV and in that correspondence course I built the first electronic tuning TV the 25" HeathKit GR 2000 TV, a digital multi-meter and an Oscilloscope. Remember that was 1972 and there were no electronic tuning TVs in the stores yet, only us nerds had them because we built them. That was back when Radio shack was the hangout for Ham radio operators, electronic hobbyists like me, and the serious electronic techs were always the sales clerks. You could go in and he or she would be able to sketch out circuits on a scratch paper and take you around to gather up all the resistors, capacitors , transistors and PC board to build it. No wasted money on cases until it burned in and working. That is how I got early adopter electronics, stereos, Ham and CB radios, TVs and computers. I'd get the non working ones and keep them or sell them until I had enough for a new item. I gave up when microcircuits began to dominate but could fix a broken motherboard etc. But parts were expensive because they all came on module boards not component level. That is why it is cheaper to buy a new TV or gadget rather than get it fixed, it was cheaper and the amount of raw materials were nothing compared to tube and early solid state circuits. My 65" 4k UHD fancy pants top TV has only two circuit boards in it other than the giant integrated full array LED screen and power supply. They are 12"X7" and another about 10"X10". I used to pick up supposedly dead computers and salvage the drives and RAM sometimes the cases and power supplies but no longer. I can buy a refurb with a warranty, sometimes, with Dell and Microsoft refurbs a full year factory warranty.

Sassy,
I hear ya abpout once a week it seems!

FBL,
Did ya get recharged?

Andy I hope all is well.

Hey FG!
Sorry a day late but you have a good one too.

Mags,
How'd the race go?

OOTT,
So you are in our great Northwest! I read that news story, terrible! Stay safe bud!

Gil!
That Louis Nye was hilarious!

OOTT,
Dang that can be scary. Is it safe to be out breathing that unfiltered? Are the fires heading your way!

I have to go as my SH will be home in a few and we are taking Maggie to the park again. Dog park so she can run and play with other dogs. I took her once and today we both take her so my SH can see. Tomorrow is our 45th anniversary! This is easy as every anniversary is 20 years younger than I am. It took me 40 years to figure that out, but that seems like yesterday! <wink>