Old 09-05-2017, 01:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
icandothis20

Originally Posted by BringingBackB View Post
Welcome to SR icandothis.

I'm a similar age (25) and have been exactly where you are now more times than I can remember. It is certainly possible, but I would highly recommend coming up with a solid plan that will keep you sober. You can then add/remove things as you go and find the right balance.

I know having some sober friends definitely helped me in the early days. For me, I found them at SR. I told all my 'real life' friends shortly afterwards, and to be honest I don't think they care as much as you think they will. Sure, I get questioned from time to time but at this point it doesn't bother me at all. Every time I see others drinking it just reinforces why I want nothing to do with it anymore.

On the AA point - if somebody knows you at AA then you will also know that they have an alcohol problem! Going to AA is certainly nothing to be embarrassed about. It personally didn't work for me, but I would strongly recommend trying everything you can, and see which fits you, as a person, the most.

You can do it, as your username suggests
It can seem very difficult to get sober when you are young. Do you mind me asking how much time you have? I also too, felt like that last time I quit drinking, I watched drunk people and was very turned off. Today I haven't drank so for that I am grateful!