Old 09-05-2017, 10:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
tealily

Icandothis,

Welcome. You CAN do this.

I'm so sorry for the trouble you find yourself in. But you DO have it in your power to change. I "tried" countless times to moderate, cut back, quit half-heartedly ("wishing" I could still drink, not being able to imagine "never" drinking again).

It never worked. Until... eventually... I realized I had it within me all along to stop "trying" and just do it. It sounds so simple, but it really is. You don't have to "give up" alcohol as much as CHOOSE to have a better life. Turn it from giving up, to gaining. Once you start drinking dangerously, as you have, it brings nothing but misery and damage. If you keep going the way you are, your life, health, relationships, career, looks -- everything -- will suffer.

Right now your addiction is fooling you into thinking alcohol makes everything "fun" and worthwhile. It's actually the opposite. It doesn't sound very fun to be risking your engagement and the joy of an upcoming wedding, waking up "scared, lonely and lost", hating yourself, and feeling depressed, anxious and desperate. It seems so obvious, yet in the grip of addiction, we don't want to give THAT up?

Read around here, post, take in the shared wisdom. You'll meet many of us who, like you, went through "not being able to imagine life without alcohol" to getting to the point where we are THANKFUL to not have it ruling our lives anymore.

You're on the brink of the start of an incredibly important stage of your life. Cherish that!

You've done a great thing by posting here. If you need to, please, seek out help in real life, too. Talk frankly to your fiance. See a doctor if you are worried about stopping safely. But you CAN do it.

You deserve a better life. It can start now.