Thread: How many times?
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2017, 07:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
TodayEveryDay

I tried so many times to quit, and alcohol won every time. I came home from a 30 day rehab telling my sister how resolute, happy and strong I felt, but then was drinking two hours later (to my shock and disbelief). This thing is brutal. Even the intention to quit is a major step in the right direction and I greatly admire and support anyone who is in this tough conversation.

I am coming up to six months now and despite a few wobbly days things have become easier; the mental obsession is vastly less than it was when I started, but it's still there and I have to be vigilant, taking actions every single day to keep my head where it needs to be.

For me, I made it stick by writing down exactly what my life looked like with alcohol in it, nothing omitted, complete, raw, truth. I then put this somewhere prominent, referred to it daily (to get present to it) and rattled off a list of things I was grateful for. Simple but very effective for me.

Going from 6-8 bottles of wine a day and a 24/7 obsession to nothing has been an absolute miracle for me...I gave myself zero chance of ever being able to stop, but I have, and I honestly love it. The key for me has been to reject obsession with how many days I have, or have to achieve; just choose not to drink today. The days/weeks/months (and hopefully years) just seem to take care of themselves.