View Single Post
Old 09-05-2017, 06:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Hi Gabe. I guess surrender brings an end to all battles. In the AA context I think it was the realization that I lacked the power to fix the problem myself, and nobody around me seemed to have the power either. In respect to alcohol I was totally powerless. Other facts about alcoholism came to me, the inability to control my drinking every time I started, and the inability to leave it alone no matter how much I wanted to. These aspects of lack of control and choice are the hallmarks of chronic alcoholism. When they are as well established as they were in me there is no return to normal drinking. The only relief is through total abstinence. I can never drink safely again, and if I try, a miserable end awaits me.

Surrendering to these facts meant at last I have identified the problem. I now know that I lack the power to fix this, so a possible solution would be to find the power, which is what the AA program (steps) is all about.

An open mind is key here so part of surrender is giving up all old ideas and trying to have a totally new experience. When I got to this point, which didn't take all that long, I found myself willing to do whatever was suggested to tap into this Power. And really, that is what AA is, a method to tap into a Power greater than ourselves, which will solve our problem. And so it proved to be.

You could already be two steps into the program. Step one identifies the problem, step two the solution. Step two requires a simple yes or no answer to this question: Do you now believe or are you even willing to believe that a power greater than yourself could possibly work for you the same way that it has worked for me and countless others?

I didn't believe, but I was willing, and from there I could make a start.

I hope I didn't make that too complicated.