View Single Post
Old 09-04-2017, 10:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Agoodman04

New here...in need of help and advice.

Hi everyone. I'll try to keep this short, and I would be happy to respond with answers to any questions.

I'm a 48 year old man in love with an incredible lady and my best friend. We've been together for 6 years. I recently realized that she's
an alcoholic. I feel stupid that I never realized it. Family members were shocked that I didn't know. She has had DUI's, jail time, etc.

I grew up in a home with an alcoholic father. He was physically and emotionally abusive to my mom. He beat her pretty bad at one time. We even moved out. We always went back.

I guess I felt all alcoholics were like that, maybe that's why I didn't see it.

I cry every day about this. It has turned in to her constantly telling me I'm controlling, jealous, I ruin her social life, etc. To the point that I'm starting to wonder if I am part of the problem.

I found her hiding liquor and asked her about it, she got pretty angry. Then i kind of mentioned getting her medical help. Now she basically hasn't talked to me for 3 days.

I feel like i need to tell her we need to check her in somewhere and get her some help, because i can't take much more emotionally.

I'm sure that conversation would go very bad.

I'm lost and just want my lady and friend back.