Thread: No shame
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2017, 12:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
hpdw

No shame

In an age where we have to be politically correct , cant say this or do that because its racist ,sexist or somewhere in between . Anything and everey goes these days it seems . In UK high street retailer John Lewis have stopped labeling clothes seperately boys or girls they are now in the same section both boys and girls . NOTE : I am not racists, homophobic ,sexists or anything near those .
Why then I ask myself should alcoholics be ashamed of their condition .
Its an illness ,addiction,condition,disease ,call it what you like .
I think it would serve us well to come out and come clean . Ive saw too may threads ,posts where recovering alcoholics are terrified in case people find out ,like its a dirty little secret . I think its high time we stopped feeling shame .

Maybe its the mood i,m in today that made me shout this out but there you go anyway , its my two cents worth .

EDIT : In Dec last year at a family gathering when my brother died I expalined to everyone I am unabe to drink as I would keep on drinking and it makes me ill , when one of my brothers asked " so are you an alcoholic " I replied yes . This was a tremendous relief for me as now they understand why I avoided some functions they organized, it explained alot .