Thread: What to expect
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2017, 12:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Verdantia

Inpatient rehab was very helpful to me. It allowed me to concentrate on my issues with no outside conflicts and distractions. I learned a lot from my fellow alcoholics and addicts and went into it with a real desire to change my irrational and self-destructive behavior. AA attendance wasn't required but I went to all meetings and took advantage of meditation and yoga classes and the gym where I rode miles and miles on a stationary cycle--and as I don't smoke I spent break times on the outside track. I went to rehab directly from the hospital where I'd been after wrecking my car in a nearly-successful suicide attempt; I had a subdural hematoma and major problems with my balance so the exercise was most helpful; I was in a wheelchair when I got there and left jogging. The encouragement of my fellows was a big help to me and I think my desire to make the most of my situation was to them. Since then I have been sober for 21 months and feeling strong. Wishing you all the best on your sober journey, Tangerine.