Old 09-01-2017, 11:04 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Tetra

I've had the week from hell. Hospital at a complete standstill due to overcrowded A&E department. All non essential procedures cancelled. Then my consultant comes to me on Wednesday with an emergency biopsy to be added to his theatre list today. I didn't think it would be a problem until I was told that due to staff shortages the day ward would not take him. There is one reason only why he ever comes to me with an emergency add on. And that is cancer.

So I spent all Wednesday morning ringing around begging any ward, anyone to accept him. I'm up against a brick wall every single time. It's all "I don't know" or "I don't care" or "I don't want" or "I don't think" or "not my job" or "nothing to do with me".

Eventually I got him admitted to the surgical day ward.

On top of that my consultant is on annual leave next week. I have emails which state which ever consultant is taking over his main theatre list also has to cover his day ward list where he does the very minor procedures.?

The female consultant (who shall be known as "The Princess") who is doing it told me she would take the main theatre list but not the day ward, after I had already booked people in. She told some one about me that "Tetra really overstepped the mark by assuming I would cover the day ward".

I went home and thought about that. First off this is the first time in my life where I was told I overstepped anything - and it feels amazing - and I didn't over step anything. I have emails which clearly state who ever is covering also takes the day ward.

My consultant may be a grumpy old curmudgeon but if there is work to be done he rolls up the sleeves and gets on with it. And so do I. I give 110% to that job. I did hear that at a management meeting my consultant had a right go at "the princess". He lost the head completely and called her lazy. Which is exactly what she is.

I told my father that I "over stepped the mark" and he laughed and told me I should do it more often. That I spent most of my life avoiding any kind of confrontation that it's nice to see a spark, a fire beginning to take hold within me.

At least I'm on holidays now until next Thursday. Let the games begin!