Old 09-01-2017, 06:57 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
CreativeThinker

Thanks Sao! Great post! During the first few months of my recovery I wondered if the cravings would ever stop. Would I have to live the rest of my life (without alcohol) feeling this way? Why quit if I have to feel this way forever? Like you Sao, my cravings DID subside around the 90-100 day mark. Eventually the obsession to drink began to fade and instead of craving throughout the day, I experienced short periods of thinking about drinking. What a relief! For those of you who are beginning your recovery, hang in there and do NOT pick up...no matter what! Otherwise, you start the clock all over again and it will take that much longer to get the relief you're looking for. You WILL get there, just keep working your plan and use your tools to move past urges.

I'm still on vacation. My first vacation without booze has been doable. I can't say I haven't thought about drinking...but I've been able to move past any thoughts of relapsing...there's absolutely no way I will give in and ruin the progress I've made. The urges have been fleeting and manageable, nothing I can't handle.

The first night we were here, a couple across from our room at the hotel were obviously drunk...fighting and swearing at each other...reminded me of so many vacations DH and I have been on in which booze ruined what could have been a great vacation. All I could think of was "There by the grace of God go I". Then took a deep sigh and thanked God that I will never have to be that person again.

Enjoy the weekend sober friends!