View Single Post
Old 09-01-2017, 04:10 AM
  # 253 (permalink)  
alterity

So much has happened since my last comment in this thread that I don't know where to start.

My husband had surgery in Boston a couple of weeks ago and Dad came up to be with me for that. The night before the surgery, we went out to dinner and I ended up asking about B, although I had a feeling it wasn't going to be good news. I was right. Sometime between his birthday mid July and now, he ended up losing everything again: his place to live, his job, even his shoes. He was on the streets for a couple of nights about a week before I saw Dad. There was some time in the hospital again which "he uses like a hotel."

I didn't ask for details. All I know is that he went to one of the Salvation Army homeless programs shortly before Dad came to Boston. There is a "15 day 'blackout' period" after arrival so when Dad got a call during lunch while we were waiting for my husband's surgery to finish (he was under for nearly 6 hours), we were nervous picking up the phone. It had only been a few days so a phone call would be highly unusual. "What do you need?" was Dad's first question. He needed toothpaste. In fact, he needed all toiletries. "Do you need cigarettes?" was Dad's second question. I rolled my eyes in disgust. Buying B shoes when he was on the street is one thing, but stimulants??? *sigh*