Old 08-31-2017, 04:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Andagain

A close friend of mine has a terminal illness.

Hi there soberfriends.

Unfortunately today has not been a positive one. A friend of mine got the news today that he has a terminal illness, due to the rather obscure nature of it I'd rather not go into more details than that because someone could read it and work out my identity. Not that I'm ashamed to be here, merely that many of the things I speak about are personal and I prefer to remain anonymous.

So today someone I love was fearing for their life, crying and pleading with the world essentially for mercy, it is a thought that fills me with a kind of deep sadness I can't really articulate.

Needless to say, the urge to drink is strong this evening. But I won't. My resolve is steeled by the unfairness of it all, if I get to live, and they do not, then it would be an insult for me to risk my life while they don't get a choice on theirs.

And this has made me think that ultimately, no matter what problems we face, we have been given an incredible gift of living and its important not to forget how lucky that makes us, treating it with the respect it deserves is the least we can do.