Old 08-30-2017, 09:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Obladi
Life Goes On

Makes sense to me to call in advance to ask if the physician would be willing to prescribe it if necessary. My GP initially was unwilling to prescribe medications for substance abuse because she didn't know anything about them. To which my response was... um, the information is out there; I've read it (and isn't it your job to learn about medications?). It seemed she has since done some research as she suggested Campral when I saw her a few weeks ago.

I read great things about Naltrexone and was excited to start on it. It was not terribly effective for me. My psychiatrist said that studies show that Naltrexone and Campral are equally effective - just one drug works for some while the alternate works for others. I know folks who've been successful with Naltrexone and ultimately got the injection - Vivitrol.

Unfortunately, contrary to some reports, the whole answer isn't in the pill, which you probably know. In my case, I am throwing everything I've learned over the last decade into this recovery. A cocktail of keeping busy, therapy for other mood disorders, keeping up with people who love me, eating regularly, AA, posting here, etc etc. It's working and I'm not going to split hairs at this point to find out if the ingredients can be tweaked.