View Single Post
Old 08-28-2017, 06:21 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
tealily

d122y,

I can't add too much more to the discussion, but just wanted to say I feel for you and applaud your willingness to hear the comments here, take them in and turn your thinking on your experience with such grace and equanimity. Really impressed with your attitude. I too say don't let this trip you up, just strengthen your determination to move forward with no exceptions.

As far being in that sort of situation again.. as a mom, I can't help but think of what I would tell my kids, who may be put in a situation where they are pressured to do something they know they shouldn't, to "fit in" or to please peers. Don't do it. No means "no". Who cares what their friends think, I would tell them. You know the old cliche: "But, mom, 'all' the kids are doing it!" followed by, "Would you jump off a bridge if all your friends were doing it?" (It's a cliche for a reason!)

No one can make you do anything you don't want to do or what is not in your best interest. You've got to put your health and sense of what's right, for YOU, first. You can still support your friend without going through the motions of drinking.

When it's an absolute, it makes it easier. No alcohol, ever.
Just like I tell my kids. Just say no.

Way to go on your new resolve.