View Single Post
Old 08-28-2017, 01:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SoberTyger

I didnt have the guts to tell anyone but my closest ones that i quit drinking and i think that played a role in my recent relapse, as i was around too many drinking people and old friends i used to party with. I ordered non alcoholic drinks but got a lot of stupid comments about why i wasnt drinking and i was a bore for not partying as i used to. I felt i wasnt ready for that, i had planned for going with the "No thanks" and hoping it would be enough, but i felt bad getting those silly comments - made me think i was a bore to be around when sober.
I managed for a good while as i was there with my GF who knows and respects my situation, but i wasn't man to handle it once i didnt have someone close to me around and relapsed. So this is an issue i need to work on.

A nice experience i had, though, was when i was at an event with a lot of drinking (where i felt quite left out being the only non drinker around) and i randomly spoke with a stranger who noticed my non-alcoholic drink and just commented "Oh, you dont drink?" I said "no, not al all" "Oh well, i'm don't eat meat" he said, and went on with whatever topic we were on about. That felt really nice and accepting to hear from a drinker, and those few words really upped my confidence that evening.