View Single Post
Old 08-28-2017, 01:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
tealily

I don't feel I need to share it either. It's my personal thing, and I'm kind of a private person anyway.

I also think we are much more focused on drinking/not drinking/who is/who isn't than most people. Most people don't care. I've never had anyone press me or ask reasons. If I"m offered alcohol, I just decline it. When asked what I'd like, I request seltzer or whatever other non alcoholic options there are. I don't need to go into a big explanation.

Close friends know I"m not drinking wine anymore, but I haven't even gotten into details with them. Another friend now is not eating gluten (celiac diagnosis), but I don't feel the need to grill or challenge her.

I'm a word person.. so I get what you mean about the labels. I'm more comfortable saying I"m not drinking anymore rather even than "sober". I like to put it more on the action that became problematic, than my identity.

I have a someone close to me with type 1 diabetes, and I HATE the phrase he or she "is a diabetic". I prefer "has diabetes". I know this may sound silly or even in denial, but it's what works for me.

Maybe because of that, I'm not personally comfortable with the identifier of she is or I am "an alcoholic". I am still me, who for many years didn't drink at all. I prefer "I used to drink alcohol, but I don't anymore." Simply, "I don't drink." I know a lot of people might disagree with me on this.. but I don't think I'm in denial.. it's just my preference for wording and what I am more comfortable with.

So, "I have had 97 days without alcohol".
"I don't drink."