View Single Post
Old 08-28-2017, 12:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
SoberBlondie

How Do You Tell People You're Sober?

I don't know why this has been such a big thing for me over the years, but coming out and telling people about my drinking problem has always been a struggle.

I have a problem with the labels.

I don't like referring to myself as an alcoholic. (Who would, right??)
But really, it just doesn't feel authentic to me.

I've slowly become more comfortable opening up about my drinking issues and saying that I abused and misused alcohol and that is why I stopped.

Buuut there's still some people that I have a hard time explaining it to. For example, do husband's friends who are just sort of my casual acquaintances really need to know the whole story?

And for my in-laws- if I go into too many details my mother in law (who works in a methadone clinic and deals with addicts day in-day out) will worry and try to "help".

I have always been a high-functioning alcohol mis-user; never showed too many signs of struggling with this...I am educated, well put together and I feel like some people will just stigmatize the whole "you don't look like someone with an alcohol problem" thing!

I would appreciate any feedback about how you guys handled the almost inevitable conversations that will arise when people notice that you aren't drinking.

Maybe I'm overthinking and just nervous about the judgement that I really don't want to deal with while I'm so proud of how far I've come already!!!