Old 08-26-2017, 03:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
August252015

I agree with the others above that it is not your sponsor's role to "play dr" - she should only be concerned if YOU bring up a concern and want to talk through your use, IMO.

To further elaborate-
I have a pretty thorough and what I imagine plenty of folks would consider heavy med regimen. I am completely honest with my psych (she prescribes all but the thyroid med which is my GP) and I also take a benzo (ativan/lorazepam) and we have kept the dosage consistent at 1-3 100 mg a day as needed; I am just past 18 mo sober. My regimen also includes seroquel for sleep nightly (it also has an anti-anxiety component which is why I take the ativan), lamictal/lamotrigine (for what are now almost negligible BPD symptoms so it is maintenance), campral/acamprosate (also maintenance, an anti-craving med- I have had zero physical cravings since I stopped so happily stay on this if it is why). I also took antabuse for the first 90 days of my sobriety; I haven't needed to (nor has she felt I do) take it again but have told my dr that I would if she ever felt I should based on my sharing with her, perhaps a danger I can't see, etc ...I am in the camp that meds are a great- and necessary- tool for some of us in our "complete recovery package" so to speak.

I also do not think it is rude to question your dr about best use, etc- you are speaking up as an advocate for yourself and your health, IMO, and honesty about concerns of any kind is legit and very, very important.

People in AA vary a lot in things beyond not drinking. The most important thing is being sober; I may have different opinions than others about use but it is not my business what anyone else does. Example, I have a friend struggling to get off some serious sleep meds and her (over) use- right now she is focusing on not drinking and reducing her use/abuse of that kind of stuff. That's her deal.

Possibly look at another sponsor if this continues to be an issue (on her end, that in turn bothers you or gets in the way of your progress through the steps with her)- ultimately as others said, you are in charge of your recovery and IMO and IME that has meant making thought out, prayed about and such attention on changing sponsors as I did last year.

Glad you shared.