View Single Post
Old 08-25-2017, 07:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
LisainBC

The run is done, now to get through the rest of the night.

Thanks everyone for your support.

What is your drinking history?

How much and how long? What makes you want to quit?
D122y - Thank you for asking and sharing your experience and congrats on the 26 months! I want to get there, seems impossible but I know it’s not … My short (sort of) story is my drinking started to escalate in my early 40’s (I’m 50 now). First it was drinking on Friday/Saturday night a bottle of wine each night, then Sunday night (hey, why not), then weekdays, hiding the excessive drinking from my ex all the while. After my divorce 5 years ago I was really drinking more and more and into the daytime for about a year. I managed to quit for a year, then started up again when I started a relationship with a “normal” drinker (you just can’t go back to drinking moderately, it does not work, at least for me!). After that relationship ended, my mother became sick and died last year, a long hard process where I drank to deal with it daily. After her death, I quit for about 5 months then picked up again. Since then (about a year now) I’ve been on a quitting/dinking cycle where I drink a bottle of wine a night for a time period, then stop for a shorter time period, but my AV always seems to win out and I drink again.

I’m really tired of being sick and tired, it’s no way to live and I know I’m killing myself slowly. Just like you say the hangovers last for days. Madness.

I drink to escape my feelings, I obviously need another method to deal with things (thus the running – helps a little) but I know I need more.

Usually after a run I feel so good that I celebrate with a glass of wine which leads to a whole bottle. No wine in the house so as long as I don’t go out to get any I’m safe! I'm looking forward to coffee in the morning.