View Single Post
Old 08-25-2017, 03:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
tomsteve

Originally Posted by chiquen81 View Post
Did anyone have motivational issues in early sobriety? (I am coming up on 2 months soon, but not quite yet)

I don't feel like doing anything at work. I just want to sit and not do anything. I have zero interest in anything. Maybe I need to go back on anti-depressants.
first things first- good on ya for 2 months!
i cant say if it was a round 2 months, but there was period where the fog of alcohol was completely gone and id get feelings of.....hhhhmmmmm....
a lackluster life? nothing interested me.i was just going through the motions of everyday life.
just so happened that about that time,the topic of boredom in early recovery came up at a meeting.. i was quite glad it did. i heard more than one person with years of recovery say they had a period they lost interest,too.years of drinking can dull senses and stuff in the brain.
i was told that if i just kept trudging and working the steps, that would change,too.those sensors in my melon would start firing up again- getting signals to them.
just as promised in the BB:

We have shown how we got out from under. You say, "Yes, I'm willing. But am I to be consigned to a life where I shall be stupid, boring and glum, like some righteous people I see? I know I must get along without liquor, but how can I? Have you a sufficient substitute?"

Yes, there is a substitute and it is vastly more than that. It is a fellowship in Alcoholics Anonymous. There you will find release from care, boredom and worry. Your imagination will be fired. Life will mean something at last. The most satisfactory years of your existence lie ahead. Thus we find the fellowship, and so will you.

slowly but surely my thinking started changing and i started to get motivated. started to enjoy doing "stuff."