View Single Post
Old 08-25-2017, 01:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
HappyGoLucky1

Originally Posted by joandmelandhan View Post
Cupidstunt (hilarious name btw!) Just popping by to say hi and welcome! It's not that you're necessarily kidding yourself (but you could well be) it's just that I and many others round here have experienced how progressive this thing is. It creeps up on you like the insidious creature it is. I know what I am. I'm an alcoholic. I'll never undo that. Ever. The only way for me is total abstinence forever.
The topic of moderation does tend to open up a bit of a can of worms round these parts but of course we all find our own way that works for us (if we are fortunate and work hard at it)
You sound like perhaps you are still quite young? Anyway that aside recognising you have a problem (albeit borderline?) is a good start. Best thing you can do IMO is get really honest. With yourself I mean. Read around here. There are so many great threads, great people, great support too.
But PLEASE don't underestimate what this thing can do to you over time. The lads nights out won't last forever and then what?
Take care and stick around! xx
Haha, why thank you Although it seems some users didn't see the funny side :P

I do understand why talk of moderation on a forum like this could be a problem and I'm happy to stop talking about it if specifically asked to which I don't believe that I have been yet but that is my goal as I don't feel that total abstinence is necessary for me just yet and total abstinence would mean that I can't do the things that I enjoy doing most.
My goal is to learn to moderate significantly better before total abstinence becomes a necessity but if that means that this forum isn't for me then I'll understand that and move on to something more suitable.
I'd be grateful if anybody might be able to suggest a place that is more suited to somebody like me to chat things over.
I'm not all that young, 33 to be precise.

Thank you, I appreciate the sound advice that you've given and feel that I realise what it can do and feel that I'm seeing signs in myself of heading towards that downwards spiral.
In fact I'm slightly proud of myself for coming here as early as I have, better too early than too late, right!

Thank you x