View Single Post
Old 08-24-2017, 08:28 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
wpainterw

Thanks Dropsie:
Last night I dreamed about the old times, when I was a boy of 10 or so and of the summer house we had in the Allegheny Mountains. I dreamed about going back there now and how everything had changed, been "modernized" And I remembered the old dirt roads, the gristmill with its water wheel, turn right on the little bridge over the creek, go up the dirt road and there on the right was our farmhouse, painted white, with no electricity but only kerosine lamps, a wooden wall telephone with its crank on the side, an "icebox" in the kitchen and a coal stove. A barn, its attic still filled with hay and how we played in that hay! No toilet only an "outhouse" with its Sears Roebuck catalogue! And the gasoline pump we had in the basement of the house pumping drinking and bathing water from the nearby creek. Eighty years ago! When America was a different land, in some ways a softer, more loving land. But sometimes we heard Hitler on our battery powered radio and the cook in the kitchen would lament with broken accents, "Oh de Hitler! Oh de Hitler!"

Bill.

Originally Posted by Dropsie View Post
Bill,

I loved your note about your past with your wife and the memories you have.

That is a gift for both of you.

Do you talk about those times? Might be a way to keep the edge off.

You are always a pleasure.