View Single Post
Old 08-19-2017, 04:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
dpac414

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
why be embarrassed about addressing alcoholism? it youre friends have a problem with you addressing the problem, then they have a problem.

theres a difference between drinking buddies, friends, and true friends.

please have no expectations of them understanding. hopefully they do, but that may not be the case.if youre friends say anything negative about it, then their true colors will show and show how good of friends they really are.
its more important for you to understand and know that sometimes changes are necessary to get and stay sober and some of those changes are difficult to make.
I know this is true, but I'm scared anyway. If my friends ditch me over wanting to remove alcohol from my life (I'd like to think them better than that but it's still a fear) then I really will have no one. I rely on my friends for support in many other aspects in my life and it's hard to imagine how well I could do without it.

But trying to white-knuckle it through dinners and going out isn't the best option either and makes things harder than they need to be.

Ugh. I think I'll eventually work up to telling maybe a few more, and then make a sort of announcement in a group chat. Conveniently, the friend who is the biggest enabler (and more than likely an alcoholic herself) is moving at the end of the month, so at least that will be one negative influence gone. She's the type who would get mad about my decision, so I don't feel bad about her leaving.

You guys are always right even if I don't want to hear it, haha.