Old 08-19-2017, 11:31 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Hechosedrugs

Thank you.

This has all been so eye-opening.

I met this man at Celebrate Recovery. He is a leader and very high up on the ladder. When he introduced himself as a "codependent who is recovering from anger" I thought, "Fabulous! After all I've put up with this will be no problem at all!"

Ugh.

I started to notice he doesn't go to small group meetings (at CR, we have a main meeting where we hear either a lesson or testimony, then we break off into our groups where we do our own sharing), and he hasn't done a step study in years.

What that means? He is always there to talk about his "recovery"- to share his story, to lead the meetings, but when is he actually working on his recovery? Basically, he thinks he's already recovered! Or maybe he just likes any chance to get up on the stage and have people observe the wonderfulness that is him. Get his pats on the back, applause. "You've come so far!" "Bravo!"

It makes me wonder- is this a common thing with recovery groups? That the people who are the most involved, the most vocal, are the ones who still have a long, long way to go?

A playground for narcissists?

Don't have any talents that permit you to get up on stage and feed that hungry ego of yours? Go to a recovery meeting!?????

The human race continues to amaze/ confuse me.