Thread: Old photos.
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2017, 11:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hechosedrugs

Because we have children together, I've kept most of our pics up. I did destroy a framed wedding pic, and was actually surprised at how long it took me to do it. But it was really freeing to smash the frame. I'm also surprised at how long it took me to stop wearing my wedding ring, and then how long it took to finally sell it (but I'm kind of proud of myself for the self-control it took to wait and get some money back, rather than smash that up as well!)

I was recently filling up a collage frame with my kids and had originally wanted to sort through the photos first, so as not to tempt them to include pics of my ex. But I felt that wouldn't be fair. Sure enough, they chose to include two pics of him.

The first: a picture of him at their 2nd birthday. He was all decked out in an army outfit, army boots. I remember thinking in that moment, "WTF does he think he's doing? Where does he think he is right now?" But my denial was so thick I wouldn't allow myself to see the obvious- he's high as a freaking kite and not thinking at all!

The second: our trip to Disneyland. Man, he was skinny! And that smile on his face says one thing: "I'm so high right now." And there I am smiling my head off, as if to say, "Everything's fine! Really, this is a happy moment! I keep telling myself that, so it must be true!"

I'm kind of glad I let the kids include those pics. They help me to see the way things really were, instead of allowing my warped memory to continue to spackle the damages.