View Single Post
Old 08-17-2017, 09:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
PinotNOmore

Lifestyle changes

9 months ago I decided I wasn't going to drink anymore. I'd made the same decision 1,000 times before then as well. I wanted to be healthy. I wanted to be happy. But I don't think I really believed I could be those things without alcohol. Alcohol had become such a lifestyle for me that living without it seemed daunting and impossible. I didn't think I drank that much... Just felt I over did it when I did.
Looking back though, there was NOTHING heathy or happy with my relationship with alcohol, and I drank a lot. Way more than I let myself believe at the time. It's been just over 9 months since my last drink, and I'm confident in saying that I am legitimately happy and pretty sure I'm healthy (and %100 sure I'm healthier than I was before!!)
I thought not drinking would be hard, and at times it is, but comparatively my life is so much easier. I really don't think i was living the life I deserved before... I was just surviving!! I still have the "why me" moments occasionally, but I'm sort of taking the position that this is what I was dealt, and this is just what my "struggle that will make me stronger" is.
I know I don't post on here often, but I check in frequently and definitely use tools that I have learned from my time on SR. I think the one that has been the most helpful is "play it through"... whenever I am thinking that I drink would help or be nice, I think of what that one drink would lead to and it becomes much less desirable!!
My lifestyle used to revolve around drinking, even if I didn't realize it. I'm happy and thankful that that has changed and sooo grateful for the last 9 months SOBER!! 😊😊😊