Thread: Well... hello
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2017, 03:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Tankersfull

Already a lot of great comments.

I just wanted to say that I, too, was in a high stress but successful position for years. I think being successful in the business world allows alcoholics to downplay our disease. If I am doing so well, and am respected and a leader, and the money is there, hey I can't be doing something too wrong, It's all part of the this high power lifestyle, right?

Wrong.

For me, it was a slow but steady ride to hell.

All it took was time and with time, the disease took more and more control until what we call rock bottom.

It came to point where there was simply no alternative. So I stopped.

SR helped immensely and still does. It's a great community of people with deep and wise experience and immense empathy. But it's the person who must take the step and this step, IMHO, starts with a very solid and sharp look at your self, your thoughts and finding the desire to let go, leave it behind.

100 days later, I feel great. The stress and the Job is still there, but I feel like a different person, calmer and more steady. A lot of the old glitz and glamour looks idiotic now. I am still around people, some of whom don't have a drinking problems, and others that do, and for the time being I am able to cope.

The pain, the hangovers, the stomach issues, the cramps, the late morning red eye, swollen face appearances, the missed morning work excuses, the fights, and much more are gone though.

I would just recommend that you look at what you have described from this very strict perspective and decide whether you are willing to let that "style" go. Actually, you will find that you can still keep %90 of the style, and perform far better, be a better leader, but you are going to do it sober.

It's much better.

Believe me.

I also wish you a lot of strength in your journey.