Old 08-15-2017, 05:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
tursiops999

CLAS -- responding to your OP -- the feedback I would share is that your post seems to cover the basics quite well. One could always refine and improve one's understanding through continued reading (especially the "AVRT Explained" and "AVRT Discussion" threads), but I think you have the idea, and can certainly adopt a BP and do this successfully if you choose.

One thing that helped me was to really focus on the idea of separation ... if I hear a thought that suggests drinking now or future drinking or 'I might fail' or any of those things, I can label it AV and recognize that, by definition, it must be the AV because I do not drink. It may temporarily seem like it's "my" thought, but I need not be confused by that, because I recognize it's identity through the content, through what it is saying.

I posted here once about an experience I had, as an example. I went to the dentist for an awful appointment, came home and opened the frig, and heard in my head "I could have just a beer, because it's like medicine or a painkiller, and I had such a horrible traumatic dental procedure, so it really would be OK". In that moment, I was able to say, "I don't drink, so that thought has to be the AV". It prevented me from being confused, because by definition, it could not be me thinking those things.

I hope that is helpful. Please continue to ask questions. One thing I appreciate about AVRT and some of the other secular approaches, is we are not asked to check our intellect at the door, and we (ideally) won't be bullied for asking questions. Of course, it's an open forum, so one has to read with discernment.