View Single Post
Old 08-15-2017, 01:16 AM
  # 368 (permalink)  
sugarangel

So, I wanted to talk about something really quick......

A friend here pointed out to me in a PM that I probably confused some people with my "blind" comment, and that maybe I should explain so there's no misunderstanding.

So....

I was born legally blind. The nerves in the back of my eyes didn't grow together properly. They used to wander around pretty badly when I was a kid. And my head would shake back and forth, too. Man, did I get bullied in school. But, that's another story.
Well, the head shaking and a lot of the eye wandering and crossing went away when I hit high school. But, I still can't see. My left eye is useless, and I can only see maybe a foot in front of me with my right eye. IF it's a good sight day and there's lots of light. So, technically I can see. Just not much. And, I have to be right on top of it to see it. But, since I've had it my whole life, and everyone just refers to me as blind, I guess I just picked up the vernacular without thinking. Sorry for any confusion I might have caused anyone. I'm just so used to the way I am that I forget to explain it to others. My mom raised me without limits, and to forget I wasn't like everyone else. I will say this for my mom, She never said I couldn't do something. And she never treated me like I was 'special' or different. So, I didn't know I was weird until I started school and the other kids let me know.
So, while the doctors were busy telling my mom I wouldn't be smart, be able to ride a bike, roller skate, drive a car, color inside the lines, I was busy making straight A's, riding my bike around the neighborhood, roller skating at the amusement park, and taking art classes. If they said I couldn't do something, man, I went on a mission to prove them wrong. Except the driving thing. The only driving I will ever do is SuperMarioKart. Hella fun game, btw.
Anyways, I just wanted to clear that up, and share a little bit more about myself. I haven't talked about it before because, despite everything, I am still embarrassed and shy about my eyes. The bad things people have said about me, the teasing, is had to forget, and makes me not want to tell people about it. Once bitten and all that.

I hope everyone is having a peachy day!! I am going to curl up in front of the tv with a big bag of jalapeno cheesy poofs and chocolate cupcake ice cream. Oh man, you haven't lived until you've had cupcake ice cream. It's chocolate ice cream with chocolate cupcake pieces and ribbons of cream filling. Yummy!! I've got an "Alone" marathon going over here. I love that show. It reminds me of what it is we really need to survive. It's really good to watch when you're going through withdrawals. I swear, it really is!!

"Sugarangel.....Out!!" lol (Anyone watch Californication??)

Love you guys.