Old 08-14-2017, 09:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
ZombieWife

Originally Posted by atalose View Post
Sure there are happy endings but the people off living that happy life with their RECOVERING addict don’t post here when it’s all happy and good. But they often do come back when it’s no longer happy and addiction has reared its ugly head once again.

The people I personally know over 40 who left marriages due to addiction/alcoholism are either happy and content or they have jumped right into yet another kind of toxic relationship.
This is me. He quit using drugs and hasn't used again in 10 years. But our relationship slowly died over time. I just couldn't forgive him after the initial betrayals. I thought I could. I thought I was happy. It was a slow death of our relationship.

Even though he didn't use drugs anymore, he did drink. And refused to believe he was an alcoholic (or an addict with meth before). As a matter of fact, he didn't believe in addiction at all. Funny that.

Now I am in my 40s and I cannot tell you how happy I am to be free. And I am free. He is not my problem anymore. I am free.

That's my happy ending, that I never have to worry about him or his addiction again. And I have never been happier. I wish I could tell myself this 10 years ago, but alas . . . I had to be broken down over and over again. Enough to finally kill every piece of respect and love I had for him.