View Single Post
Old 08-14-2017, 02:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Berrybean

I came to sobriety very tempted to chuck the baby out with the bathwater as well. I was convinced that my job, relationships and life in general were all making me drink. When I went to AA I was told, don't make any major changes in the first year. Well, we were already waiting for the finalities on a house move, so I DID move house, but that change was already in the pipeline, and actually the AA meetings where I moved to were much more solution and program focussed than in my old city so that worked out well to be honest, plus I was removed from my old drinking people and places. But my career DID stay the same. I'm not going to say that it isn't stressful at times now, but after working the program, and continuing to so every day and applying it to my work life - I can now cope with the stress. It doesn't overwhelm me like it used to. It is rare for me to have those old stress dreams, or lay awake in the night going over and over things.

I will suggest to you the same as was suggested to me. Stay sober one day at a time. Get a sponsor. Work the 12-step program. Keep your side of the street clean and accept it when others don't do the same (usually we drink on what WE did, not what others did!!) Accept that we cannot control everything and sometimes life can be a bit rubbish. Accept that there will be times when you can't please everyone. Talk to your sponsor about the pressures of life, and they will talk you through how to accept life on lifes terms, and help you see how to deal with those situations, until one day you will find the promises have come true and you know instinctively how to deal with people and situations that would have eluded you before. This is a whole new way of thinking and living though. It cannot happen overnight.

Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery. BB