View Single Post
Old 08-11-2017, 11:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
DarklingSong

I am sorry to hear what you have been through. There is hope, and SR is a great place to start the process of change. I am almost 50 too and have been drinking dangerously for at least 10 years.
I stopped ultimately because my body couldn't take it any longer. Like you the damage was not showing YET on the tests but I could feel that I was slowly dying; physically and mentally.
I was terrified of stopping because I had no idea how I could face all my problems without wine. I can tell you it is possible. You are obviously bright and talented....great attributes to build a new life.

It is deeply painful to see oneself through the eyes of ones children but if you can get through the first few weeks this can gradually be managed- by making amends and eventually forgiving yourself.

Sadly history does repeat itself - but if you can learn from your experiences, you can change your future. Being sober is the only way this can be done. It isn't easy. I continue to struggle at 56 days sober. But I believe it is possible.
Take care