Old 08-11-2017, 04:01 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
OpheliaKatz
"O you must wear your rue with difference".

This breaks it down so well! I'm going to copy and paste this somewhere, where I can read it when I'm feeling "crazy" and guilty. Thank you so much for writing this.

My AH also promised to quit over and over. And then he asked that I stand by him, over and over, and he actually blamed me for his drug addiction when he could not quit. He blamed me and became violent. It got that bad. I think if I had found this forum years earlier, I would have ended things earlier.

Originally Posted by atalose View Post
Maybe because blocking him truly means you have ended this relationship and that probably scares you. There is always that little flicker of “hope” that they are going to change into the person we know they can be and remain that person all the time 24/7 and you want to there when that miracle happens.

But like Sparklekitty said, hope is not a plan.

Now let’s break down his words and there true meaning.

Full of promises = how many of those promise have you already head? When someone says they are sorry for something but then does the same thing again, they are not sorry at all. They use that word to manipulate you.

Please stand by me = I’m going to equally place my burden of my drinking issue on your shoulders as well so that when I fail again I can also blame you. If you stay and support him and he fails again at recovery he will make that your fault and if you do leave him and he continues to drink he will blame the drinking on you leaving him.

You have not mentioned how long you have been with him but it seems long enough where you have witnessed a number of attempts of him getting sober. So what is different this time? Why do you still believe his words other than having hope that this time he really means it, much like the last time he meant it and the time before that, right?

How about needing and giving space to each other so that each of you can go work on your own issues independent of each other or a relationship. Time will reveal if he’s serious about recovery or just playing the alcoholic hostage game with you.