View Single Post
Old 08-09-2017, 02:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
August252015

Originally Posted by Andagain View Post
I am off to another meeting tomorrow afternoon so I will let you know how things get on =)
Glad to hear it.

Like others have said, there are a slew of different kinds of meetings- as in, Open discussion, Closed, mens', womens', 12&12,etc- and "kinds" of meetings- meaning their makeup, attendee variety, all kinds of stuff.

One thing jumped out at me from your thread title - "and it wasn't fun." Well, AA isn't supposed to be fun. That's not the point. IMO and IME, it is a lot of fun NOW (at almost 18 mos sober) to go to my meetings, especially at my MWF homegroup, bc now I know these people to be awesome humans and there is a great comraderie. When I go to any random meeting, my expectation is never that it is fun, rather that it is useful, I am of service to others just by being there or by commenting, that it is part of my routine of recovery and therefore important consistency.....

Glad you aren't letting an initial experience turn you off. Your posts sound like one good reason people will suggest "90 in 90" (meetings/days) or even 30 in 30 - you can try different meetings, begin to learn about AA, and gain a comfort level....you don't have to share and IMO, you don't need to be "just like" the people in any meeting. Alcoholism is what we all have in common. I listened for a long time before I spoke up and in doing so, I was surprised to hear my story, or parts of it, spoken back to me by the others around me.