View Single Post
Old 08-08-2017, 07:49 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  
joandmelandhan

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
For a long time I drank because I could get away with it - it was my one finger salute to the world...but ironically I also drank because I didn't think very highly of myself.
D
^^^^^ this! Dee you have a real knack of being able to share in a way that many of us identify with completely.

Problem with the one finger salute is that we only hurt ourselves in the process.

I remember you posted recently about drinking on a resentment being like "drinking poison and expecting the other person to die" that's another very clever observation.

When I slipped up (11 days ago and counting) it was utterly to hurt myself. I didn't enjoy it (had to force it down) and I knew exactly how bad I'd feel afterwards. And I did.

But guys we are the lucky ones. We are trying. We can get there together. Yesterday I found out that an old mate of mine died of this nasty addiction. When I started at a recovery group about 8 years ago she had 3 years sobriety and was so strong and a great help to me. It's a sobering (literally) thought that she is now dead. No second chances. The finality is absolute.

So I feel extremely lucky to be on this path with you all