Old 08-07-2017, 08:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Andagain

Recovered Alcoholic friend and I had a disagreement

Hey there soberfriends,

One of my friends is also a recovering alcoholic, anyway, today we were hanging out and I went to get shopping, and I got some balsamic vinegar for a chilli I am making tomorrow.

He told me there were trace amounts of alcohol in balsamic vinegar, and I said I don't care about the trace amounts in vinegar and I also still use red/white wine vinegar. I only don't use wine in cooking because I don't want to keep alcohol in the house. He told me in that case I'm not sober and when I refused to put it back, left in a huff.

Am I out of line here?

I get it, I'm a recovering alcoholic and I should not consume alcohol, but I don't extend that to foods that may have trace amounts in it. I think that's reasonable and I certainly don't consider that me relapsing.

What's your opinions on this? I mean most desserts have trace amounts, I've heard that technically most bread does. This seems rather extreme to me and I'm totally fine with him not having anything to do with anything with even a microscopic amount of alcohol in it, but kicking off at my choice, which I don't consider irresponsible.

Am I out of line? Did the bbq sauce I had earlier which contains red wine vinegar with my dinner earlier count as a "relapse"?